Denali

I went with a bunch of new drivers shadowing a driver taking tourists to Denali. I learned a great deal on the trip and saw some beautiful scenery. 

  I learned about Minto Flats with its trumpeter swans, geese, trophy pike, moose, and other wildlife including 150000 new hatchlings ducks each year.
This is actually the Tanana Valley

I learned about Ferry, Alaska where the residents moon the passenger train each 4th of July.

The small town of Nenana also has a great history. It is where the two halves of the Alaskan Railroad met and President Harding came to drive the Golden spike. The rail bridge there is a marvel and the annual Nenana Ice Classic, where people bet on when the ice will break up, is still going strong. I hear April 31 is a popular bet.

I learned about the coal mine near Healy with enough coal to run the whole US for 100 years. We passed where the young man from "Into the Wild" started his fateful journey.

The skies were clear, the scenery beautiful. All in all a great day


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hoonah Fishing Trip

New Home